Saturday, September 8, 2012

1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents

Book Review

This book is amazing and their techniques for disciplining children really works. My oldest daughter has ADHD so she is very impulsive and tends to do things without thinking twice about it. Like when I told her not to touch the stove because it is really hot. She touched the stove with both hands and we were in the emergency room 10 minutes later. She is very impulsive but I cannot let that be an excuse for her bad behavior. I notice when my husband and I try to be stern with her, using a firmer voice, and trying to be more in command, it only would make things worst for her.

Harper's psychologist recommended this book called "1, 2, 3 Magic". As soon as I found out they offered a christian version of the book I had to get it. They have a 1, 2, 3 method that works great for stop behavior. The start behavior is a little more difficult for me to implement, especially with Harper, but I am working on it. As you read through, you start getting excited to use the 1, 2, 3 method but it tells you not to until you finish chapter 5. They want to make sure you that you know all the ins and outs and that you do the method effectively for it to work. Did I tell you? It works!
It is so great because you can redirect your kids to do the behavior that you want to see without having to raise your voice or use any kind of aggression. There is no excessive talking on the parents part which makes it easier to not get trapped into those arguments with your kids that don't seem to help anyways.

This books philosophy on disciplining is recommended for children 2-12 years of age. I still have to wait for Magnolia to get old enough, since she is only 1, but I am looking forward to using the 1, 2, 3 method with her.

This book has a great bible scriptures throughout the book that is very inspirational. We need inspiration as parents and the bible is the perfect place to get it! Right from God Himself! I have fallen out of practice reading the bible and keeping up but it is amazing when you do get back into it. It puts the pieces of life back in focus. It is like my life is a puzzle and pieces have been scattered all around in the box. When I read scripture that is inspirational and it all makes sense, it makes life seem so much simpler. Things do not have to be complicated. Want directions? Read the Bible.

I recommend this book to anyone who is trying to get ahold on discipling their children in a loving, calm manner and still getting the results you want/need from them. Whether you are in public or just at home, the 1, 2, 3 method works and you will be amazed at how simple it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what's on your mind!
Leave a Comment!

 

Naturally You | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012